Thursday, October 29, 2009

lowering the boom

Really, it felt like a beautiful thing with Jared.

Maxxie wanted to gush about it, but he couldn't. No one could probably stand him saying things like. "I fuck him. He fucks me. Morning. Noon. Night." Everyday was a new day coming. And now they had FAME to break in the next few weeks for the holidays. Yes! Maxxie was in a musical with Jared. All was so lovely. Like an answered prayer of some kind. And then Sketch called.

"I put this off as long as I could," Sketch started, telling Maxxie he needed to sit down to hear this.

"What is it?" Maxxie tensed.

"I thought this was what I wanted, but I'm not so sure anymore." Sketch sounds so sad as if she were at the end of something.

"What did you want?" Maxxie didn't get it. Perhaps he was just the oblivious sort, but he'd been busy with the musical, and life with Jared.

"Your baby."

"What?"

"Please, don't be mad at me. Will you?"

"I dunno, what to say." It was a shock. Inevitable he supposed. "How far along are you?"

"6 months."

"6 months?" Shit, how long had Tony been gone? Maxxie felt faint. He wasn't sure how to take it. A kid was the last thing he expected.

"It was just an accident. Really, it was, you know. I'm sorry." She was crying.

"Its all right." He winced. He guessed it would have to be. "What do you want me to do?"

"I dunno if I can do this. I'm not ready to be a mother."

"Do you think I'm anymore ready?" This was ridiculous. "Something, you say, you always wanted, and you don't know if you're ready? Christ sake, woman, what gives?"

"Can you keep it?"

"Dunno." Maxxie squinted hard. "Keep it? You don't want it?"

"I got this really great promotion with the company, but I need to move state side. New York City. I can go right after the kid is born." She told him.

"Now its just a kid, is it. My kid? You are unloading quite a load a shit on me, and you don't even want to share, now do you?"

"I'll send you cash, honestly I would." She explained. "I would help you raise her."

"A daughter?"

"Yes."

This was something he had to see for himself. He thought he might go on a bender of some kind. Life was going on, and he had to hang on to what mattered.

1 comment:

ellie said...

wow...that is big news.